Today I started the day doing what I love to do on a Wednesday, going for a run. I’m so very fortunate to live only minutes from the beach and am spoilt with this amazing weather here on the Gold Coast even in the Winter, that it would be ignorant of me not make the effort to utilize it.
After I drop the kids at school and preschool I make Wednesday morning my day to inhale in the ocean air while I run amongst the many other fellow runners, walkers, or just peaceful wave watchers. People from all walks of life appreciating natures beauty. It always fascinates me to observe people and wonder what is happening in their lives to bring them here.
I discard all the negativity and stress that life brings in my day-to-day busy life and focus on only that moment. I don’t have to tell you how mind health is just as important as physical health and I feel running in this environment so freeing, peaceful and so valuable for your soul and spirit.
Continue reading “Sugar Free Lemon, Chia, Honey Cakes”
What’s more Aussie than having friends or family over, kids swimming, drinks flowing and having a backyard Barbie. Here is a simple side to accompany an Aussie BBQ that’t always a crowd pleaser and isn’t drowned in mayonaise!
Smashed Potatoes with Lemon, Rosemary & Thyme with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
A perfect side to accompany a backyard BBQ
1 kg baby red potatoes skin left on
zest of 1 lemon
fresh rosemary and thyme
Salt and pepper
Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tb Dijon mustard
1 tb honey
1 garlic crushed
- Place potatoes whole in a large pot fill with water till covers the potatoes add a heaped tsp salt, bring to the boil with lid on
- Once boiling remove lid and let it boil for 10-15mins
- Prick Potatoes with a fork to check if they are cooked they should be firm but tender inside
- Drain and let it cool
- Meanwhile make the dressing, add all the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake to combine, set aside.
- With a potato masher gently take each potato and press down just enough to break each potato place in a serving bowl
- Sprinkle the lemon zest, fresh rosemary sprigs and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the potatoes and gently mix till all the potatoes are covered in the dressing.
- Can serve this still warm or cold.
This Greek style chicken platter with a zesty marinade keeps meals interesting and introducing your kids to different flavours early will make their taste buds used to trying new things. Another reason by marinading the chicken pieces in yoghurt for 20mins is a fast a way of tenderizing the chicken resulting in juicy soft meat. A healthy alternative to a crumbed chicken strips, pair it with a Greek side salad or in a pita wrap with a squeeze of lemon. A light fresh healthy dinner the whole family can enjoy.
Greek Style Lemon & Yoghurt Chicken
An easy, zesty Greek style chicken platter to feed the family
500-600g chicken tenders (preferably organic)
1 cup plain Greek style yoghurt plus extra to serve
1 tb extra virgin olive oil
1 tb finely grated lemon rind
1/4 cup chopped oregano leaves fresh or dried
1 tb chopped mint
1 tb chopped parsley
2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
slices of lemon wedge to serve
- Place yoghurt, oil, lemon rind, herbs, cumin and salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir till well combine
- Add the chicken tenders to the bowls and mix to coat chicken
- Cover and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 20 mins
- Optional-Prepare a side salad of tomato, cucumber, olives, basil, celery and fetta. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil
- Thread chicken tenders on skewers
- Heat a hot grill pan and grill for 5-6 mins then turning and cook for further 5 mins
- Serve with wedge of lemon, extra yoghurt and side salad or pita wraps
Zesty, lemony pure bliss balls to satisfy any Lemon and Coconut lover and refined sugar free!
Lemon & Coconut Bliss Balls
A raw ball treat that's just as sweet
200g desiccated coconut
1 cup almond meal
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup rice malt syrup or honey
Finely grated lemon zest
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Reserving 1 cup of coconut place all other ingredients into a food processor and blitz until comes together
- Roll into balls then roll in remaining coconut to coat
- Lay balls on a tray lined with baking paper
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins