It’s well into the Winter season which means cold and flu season is upon us. I am a firm believer in food as medicine and using plants, herbs, oils to help heal ourselves and assist our bodies to what nature intended it to do. Especially to prevent the severity of viruses, because we all get sick from time to time.
If you are eating a relatively healthy balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables your body tends to fight off any nasty antibodies more quickly because your immune system kicks into gear fighting it off as soon as you start to feel run down. There are many ways we can assist our bodies to help us on the road to recovery quicker.
- The obvious is rest, to let the body work its magic without using excess energy.
- Diffuse and topically use 100% natural essential oils excellent to help open the lungs and support breathing for coughs and colds. Some oils to use include, peppermint, tea tree, oregano, lavender (to help sleep), lemon, rosemary, lemongrass and frankincense (which is the king of oils).
- Replenish our bodies with immune boosting essential vitamins and minerals naturally found in fruit and vegetables such as citrus fruits and leafy greens.
- Natural herbal vitamin supplements such as Echinacea, ginseng to name a few can be found at your local health food store.
- Herbs and spices in teas and tonics another great natural way of super charging your immunity, after all these methods have been around, used for thousands of years well before modern-day medicine came to be.
- Drinking plenty of water is imperative to keep you hydrated and flush out all the toxins and bacteria that is trying to slow you down.
I use these methods religiously on myself and my family. As soon as I feel a tickle in the throat or my children start to cough, outcomes the essential oils, homemade soups and we make fresh juices with orange, carrot, ginger, and lots of greens. It has become a common practice in our home not just when we are starting to feel unwell but we have incorporated it into our everyday lives for keeping us on top of our health and keeping our bodies as strong as they can be. If they do happen to have more severe symptoms we of course then seek medical advice. I feel I have become a pretty good judge on when something may be more sinister than the common cough and cold which isn’t too often, usually within a few days they are back to full energy and running around again. A healthy diet also contributes to this.
People who suffer low immunity caused by prescription medications, cancer treatments, etc. also would benefit greatly from the addition of natural remedies into their routine. There are many good documentaries and articles on natural medicine nowadays as many more are becoming more aware of alternative medicines and embracing them.
Here is an amazing immune-boosting tonic that can be enjoyed hot or cold and any time of the year. Brewed with all-natural fighting compounds found in turmeric, ginger, lemon, honey, and more. Best kept in the fridge, enjoy a cup once or twice a day or as you please.
- Servings: makes 1.5L
4cm fresh turmeric, thinly sliced or 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
4cm fresh ginger, thinly sliced
1 stick cinnamon
1 sprig fresh bay leaves
1 tsp black peppercorns
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (approx. 1 large lemon)
2 tbsp pure honey
1.5 L water
Place all the ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20mins. Serve tonic hot or chilled.