Making taco meat at home is much easier than anyone could expect. All you need is a blend of some ingredients and your skills to have the yummiest finished tacos at home.
Before we discuss the instructions for this hearty recipe, let’s go through the key ingredients you’re going to need!
Ingredients to Make the Healthiest Taco Seasoning
Following are the ingredients of the healthiest additives-free homemade taco seasoning:
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
Mix up all these ingredients, and here you go. Your delicious taco seasoning is ready to be sprinkled.
Store it in an airtight jar.
It’s a one-packet serving, which you can double, triple, and so on by increasing the number of ingredients. You can also control its taste however you like.
For instance, if you’re opting for low-sodium or sodium-free food, cut the salt to half or skip it. If you want an excellent spice touch, increase the red pepper flakes (half teaspoon). Similarly, if you don’t like any ingredients from the ones mentioned above, skip that!
Ingredients for Taco Meat
Following are the ingredients you need to make taco meat:
- Ground Meat – Use any preferred ground meat, such as beef, chicken, pork, or turkey.
- Taco Seasoning – 1 packet.
- Tomato Sauce – Use any canned tomato sauce to keep your taco meat ideally moist.
To make taco meat:
- Put a sizeable non-stick skillet on the stove and heat it on medium to high flame. Add half Tbsp oil if you’re using a stainless steel skillet.
- Add the ground meat to the pan and continuously stir it to brown it evenly.
- After you have browned the meat to perfection, drain the extra grease or let the paper towel absorb it, if there is any.
- Once you’ve drained off the fat, add in ¼ cup water, tomato sauce, and seasonings.
- Now, leave the meat simmering over medium heat for about 4 to 7 minutes. When the liquid from tomato sauce fully absorbs, turn off the stove and enjoy your feast.
How to Season Taco Meat?
When your ground meat is browned over medium heat, sprinkle one packet of taco seasoning (recipe above) on it and add about a half cup of water. Then let it simmer till the liquid is absorbed. That’s it!
You can use the taco meat we have introduced above in taco salads, taco pasta, taco pizza, nachos, and more. In contrast, besides taco seasoning in taco meat, you can sprinkle it over baked potatoes and replace it with fajita seasoning.
Let us know in the comments how your taco meat tasted after trying the recipe!