Summer holidays have come to an end, for myself it’s a little bitter sweet. Whilst I am over the sibling fighting and constant complaints of boredom I actually really enjoyed having my kids home these holidays. We have spent a lot of quality time together over the past two months swimming, fishing, boating, days at the beach, theme parks, bike rides, movie dates, picnics in the park we really have done it all.
Anyone with kids especially boys knows how much they need to be kept busy at all times and while it’s exhausting I know it’s not forever. One day I will be wishing I had those annoying voices of repetitious words constantly calling out Mum, those little smiles asking for another story at bedtime and the cute laughs they so easily give out at this age. Maybe I’m just getting more sentimental as I get older but I can’t help to feel the years are passing all too quickly. My nearly teenage soon still actually likes hanging out with me, I will take what I can get for as long as I can.
With no more takeaway on weekdays and dinners out midweek the normality sets back in and so does the regular family dinners at home. We all live such busy lives and just can’t help but run out of ideas to cook for the family. Lucky for you I have some to share to make life a little easier when homework and extracurricular activities start up again. Mostly easy and under 30 minutes to cook.
Pasta is always top of the list when it comes to quick and easy meals and not to mention the kids favourite. Nothing worse than spending time on what you thought was an amazing dinner and the kids turn up their noses up to it. So frustrating.
This is one the kids will love, something different than the classic spaghetti bolognese and if your are lucky to have leftovers make perfect work and school lunches. Enjoy!
Chicken Pesto Fusilli
500g fusilli (spiral pasta) wholewheat, spelt, pulse or GF
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 purple onion, sliced
500g organic free range chicken breasts, diced
100g cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup kalamata olives
2 cups baby spinach leaves
2-3 tbsp Basil Pesto
1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
Salt and Pepper
- Heat a large pot of salted water on high heat until boiling. Cook pasta according to packet directions
- Heat oil in large pan on medium to high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil then add the garlic and onion and sauté until softened. Add chicken breast and cook for 4-5 mins until browned
- Add tomatoes, olives and baby spinach and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Tomatoes should start to blister.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and place back into the pot. Add the cooked pan ingredients into the pot and stir in the pesto. You may need a little extra olive oil if too dry.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with toasted pine nuts