When it comes to comfort food shepherd’s pie is top of the list. It is the ultimate Winter warmer, oozing comfort. From the rich hardy filling topped off with buttery creamy mash and baked all in one pan till just crisp, there is just nothing better. Hungry yet?
You have probably noticed I’m a lover of the one pot wonders. Though technically this uses two pots but you get the gist. Meals served from one pot or pan make family meal time so much easier and not to mention less washing up. Serve out as much as each person likes and if there is any left overs makes perfect next day lunches. They are also great meals to prepare ahead of time to freeze or put in the fridge for later. I often food prep dinners just before the afternoon school run and the madness of after school sports activities. I know that when I get back home usually right on dinner time, it only takes a few minutes to heat up or whack in the oven to cook which saves a lot of headaches from the kids nagging and whining that they are starving and when is dinner going to be ready. A little preparation saves a lot of stress afterwards. You could always do this on a weekend too it’s good to keep in the fridge for a few days.
I have changed up the traditional recipe which is usually made with minced beef and used chicken mince instead and added the lentils for extra iron, fibre and protein benefits. Great way to add pulses into your diet, also giving it a soft texture that works so nicely with this kind of meal. Switched the white potatoes with sweet potatoes for they are lower on the glycemic index and higher vitamin A and C levels than the ordinary spud.
Chicken & Lentil Shepherds Pie
The ultimate Winter warmer dish that oozes comfort that's hardy and creamy all in one pan
1 tbs EV Olive oil
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500g organic free range chicken mince
2 celery stalks, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 zucchini, finely diced
1 tsp sweet paprika
400g can lentils
400g can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
handful of fresh parsley and oregano, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
800g sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven 180’C
- Heat oil in a large pot or oven proof pan over medium heat heat, add onion, garlic and cook till softens for 4-5mins
- Add chicken mince and cook for further 5 mins. Add celery, carrot, zucchini and paprika and cook stirring for a few minutes till vegetables start to soften.
- Add lentils, diced tomatoes, chicken stock and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30mins until the sauce has reduced and thickened, checking and stirring occasionally
- Stir through herbs and season to taste
- Meanwhile bring water in a saucepan to the boil, add sweet potatoes and a tsp of salt
- Boil sweet potatoes 15 mins or until tender, drain, add butter, with a potato masher mash till smooth
- If not using an oven proof pan transfer chicken mixture into a oven proof baking dish, then top with sweet potato mash
- Cook in a preheated oven for 30mins, sprinkle some grated parmesan and extra parsley on top then let it rest for 10mins before serving
Note- If you a like, add one white potato with the sweet potato for a thicker creamier consistency.