Running out of ideas for kids school lunches?
These mix and bake choc banana & coconut muffins are the perfect nut-free lunchbox treat. With using alternatives to sugars, good quality 70% dark chocolate and wholemeal spelt flour makes them a healthier yet still super yummy, kid friendly snack. You can swap the chocolate and use sultanas or blueberries to keep things interesting.
My kids love them, make a batch and freeze them in ziplock bags for easier lunchbox treats.
Choc Banana & Coconut Muffins
400g mashed bananas (approx 4 bananas)
1/2 cup grape seed, coconut, olive oil or melted butter
1/4 cup pure maple syrup, raw honey or rice malt syrup
1 cup milk of choice (I used buttermilk )
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups wholemeal spelt flour or wholemeal plain flour
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
2 tsp baking powder
80g 70% dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 160’C line a 12 capacity muffin tray with muffins cases
- In a large bowl place the mashed banana and all the wet ingredients, mix well to combine
- Add the remaining dry ingredients mixing well. Fold through the chocolate pieces reserving some to top muffins
- Pour into prepared muffin cases 3/4 full, top with extra chocolate pieces
- Bake in the oven for 35-40mins until when a skewer is inserted comes out clean
Note- for Gluten Free version > Replace flours with almond meal (will be a more dense less fluffy)