One thing I’m big on is hidden preservatives in food. I try to avoid them like the plague. Sadly there is too many quick meal options targeted at us in the supermarkets that a filled with the stuff.
We have kind of been sucked into the ‘quick’ and thoughtless way of cooking that makes dinner an easy option. Grabbing a pre-packed jar or powder packets of sauces that we think are an easy option when we are pushed for time. But if we stop to look at the ingredients on the back you would be shell-shocked to see what’s actually in them numbers, artificial flavours, colours and additives that just aren’t necessary and actually quite harmful to us over time.
I really want parents to know out there that cooking good food doesn’t have to be hard or complicated. It is usually a few ingredients put together simply that takes not a lot of time at all.
I called this “The Real Deal” because it is just that REAL. Made with REAL ingredients and tastes fresh, light and tasty. Took me 35 mins to make from start to finish so if you ask me I’d rather feed my family this fresh old favourite than a jar full of who knows what any day of the week.
I added some veggies of course for extra nutrition but if you have fussy kids just leave them out or add some veggies they like.
Real Mac 'n' Cheese with Peas & Broccoli
2 tbs butter
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 tbs wholemeal spelt or wholemeal all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup water
1 cup grated tasty cheese
1 cup frozen peas
1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
1/4 cup sourdough breadcrumbs
Parmesan Cheese grated to top
Salt and Pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted boiling water to the boil.
- Cook macaroni per packets instructions
- Add peas and broccoli to the pot to cook with the macaroni
- Meanwhile in a small pot melt butter on medium to low heat
- Add dijon and flour then stir to combine. Mix milk and water together in a jug and add a little at a time to the pot stirring consistently once becomes thicker add more milk until all milk is added and the sauce has become thick and creamy.
- Stir through grated tasty cheese and take off the heat
- Once pasta is cooked strain water and stir through sauce
- Top with sourdough breadcrumbs, season with salt and pepper and extra grated parmesan cheese