I have been wanting to try this for a while now as it just looks so creative and artistic but is actually so easy!
I literally had no idea what was for dinner when I had these lonely sweet potatoes sitting on my bench and some chicken breasts waiting for me to whip something up for the family. It would have been the usual sweet potato chips but remembered I’d seen a few pics around on social media of these beauties and decided to give it a go. With only 5 mins prep and minimal ingredients it really was an ideal healthy side veggie.
I quickly sliced and threw these hasselbacks in the oven as they take an hour to cook then I prepared some Portuguese Spiced Chicken Skewers ready to grill. Steamed some greens and we had a feast on the table with little ‘hassel’ at all, excuse the pun. hehe
The Sweet Potatoes turned out softly baked in the centre but crispy like a chip on the outside. Grated a little parmesan cheese and drizzle of my homemade basil pesto and oh my delish on a plate. Not bad not bad at all!
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Basil Pesto
2-4 small to medium sweet potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 200’C line a tray with baking paper
- Slice sweet potatoes 3/4 way down through with a sharp knife
- Place on a lined tray rub in olive oil, season with salt and pepper and cook for 45-50mins
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan, place in the oven and cook for a further 10-15mins until cooked through and crisp
- Top sweet potatoes with basil pesto, serve