Winter baking makes dealing with the cooler weather more warm and comforting, what more it makes us feel like staying indoors and catching up on things at home that we may not get around to doing during the busy Summer months when all we want to do is enjoy the sunshine. Take this time to get creative in the kitchen and bake some healthy afternoon treats.
My Gluten Free/refined sugar free Orange & Almond cake with the addition of Turmeric is prefect for Winter baking. Citrus is thriving at the moment being in peak season they are the juiciest time to eat them which bring the best natural flavour to cakes and desserts. We can all do with an extra boost of vitamin C to help keep our immune system in check through out cold and flu season as well.
You don’t have to ask me twice I love my afternoon organic herbal teas with a slice of warm cake any day of the week!
Orange, Almond & Turmeric Cake
1 tbsp ground turmeric
1/3 cup rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups almond meal
1 tsp baking powder (GF)
- In a small saucepan place oranges fill with water till just covering the oranges. bring to the boil then simmer on low for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 160’C and grease a bundt tin or round 20cm cake tin
- Once oranges have cooled a little place in a food processor and process to a puree until smooth
- With motor running add eggs one at a time till well combined.
- Add the almond meal, turmeric, rice malt syrup, vanilla and baking powder and blitz till smooth
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 50-60mins until firm and skewer comes out clean
- Serve with natural yoghurt or cream