It is actually easier than you think to make your own gnocchi at home. This is an easy time saving recipe anyone can make.
I like making it with ricotta instead of potato like traditional gnocchi. It gives a lot lighter and less filling result and to be honest so much quicker than having to boil potatoes mash and cool, it can become a timely process. Great if you have the time but if you would like a quicker and still delicious recipe than I would suggest trying this one.
Homemade Ricotta Gnocchi
1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
3/4 cup plain, wholemeal or spelt flour (use buckwheat flour for gluten-free)
1 cup (250g) fresh ricotta
salt and pepper
extra flour for bench and dusting
- In a bowl mix together all ingredients until well combined
- Turn onto a flour bench and gently fold together adding a little flour until dough forms. Doesn’t need too much just enough so doesn’t stick to your fingers and bench
- Roll into 2 thin long logs and with a butter knife or bread paddle cut into 1 inch think pieces
- Lay them on a floured lined tray, dust a little extra flour over them and place in the fridge until ready to cook
- To cook: Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, once boiling drop gnocchi into the pot. Gnocchi is cooked once they float to the surface around 3-4 mins. Remove with a slotted spoon. Serve gnocchi with tomato pasta sauce or a burnt butter and sage sauce, or even stir through with some Homemade Basil Pesto