With three hungry growing boys in my house well four including the biggest boy, hubby. I must have my pantry stocked and fridge full most of the time. Healthy snacks I like to always have on hand so I know they are getting used to healthy eating habits as they grow up. At times it can be hard to think of new ideas I don’t buy a lot of packet or pre-made snacks unless I know exactly what’s in them and I stay clear away from supermarket sugar filled packaged food. While we eat a lot of fruit, veggie sticks, nuts and smoothies at times the kids want something hot and tasty to fill them up. These homemade sausage rolls are ideal for hungry bellies yet still nutritious and without the nasties.
This is such a handy recipe to have sausage rolls make easy lunch ideas, afternoon tea snacks, party food and great for BBQ entertaining. The frozen pre-made ones from the supermarket well god knows what is actually in them the processed so-called meat they use may taste ok but we all know it’s not healthy for us with all the additives and preservatives that they contain.
If you have ever thought of making them yourself this recipe is ideal. I actually made it even healthier by substituting the pastry with sheets of mountain bread wraps bought from the supermarket. They contain little calories and no artificial nonsense. They crisp up a treat and you or the kids will never notice the difference, well my kids didn’t. I’ve used organic lean beef and added some hidden veggies for extra goodness. You can also make and par-cook then freeze them to have on hand when needed. They are just too good not to try them for yourself.
Homemade Hidden Veggie & Beef Sausage Rolls
2 tsp olive oil
500g lean organic beef mince
1/2 leek thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 carrot, peeled and grated finely
1 zucchini, grated finely
2 tbs tomato paste
10 sheets mountain bread
1 egg whisked
3 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven 160’C line a tray with baking paper
- In a large frypan heat oil and garlic and leek. cook for 2-3 mins until leek has softened
- Add carrot and zucchini cook for a further 3-4 mins
- Take off the heat mix together with the mince meat in a bowl. Add tomato paste and season with salt and pepper
- Lay 2 sheets of mountain bread on top of each other. Spoon 3 heaped tablespoons of mince meat mixture on one end of the sheet to make a log shape.
- Roll to enclose, cut into three pieces and place on baking tray
- Repeat with remaining sheets and filling
- With a sharp knife make little slits on the top of the sausage rolls, with a pastry brush the sausage rolls with whisked eggs and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Cook in the oven for 25-30mins or until golden and crisp and filling is cooked through