This past week we have finally seen some true Autumn (fall) weather. The days are getting cooler with the early morning air crisp as we start to prepare ourselves for the winter months ahead. There is something so romantic about this time of year that I love. I think of cosy park walks, picnics, baked dinners at home and toasty belly warming desserts and cakes. Beurre Bosc Pears are also now in season which makes for amazing baking.
I did get a little over excited and bought a few too many when I saw them so I ended up having quite a few too many pears that were getting over ripe, I needed to use them up in some baking. I could have made a tart or pie but didn’t have a lot of time to be in the kitchen this particular day. Keeping it refined sugar-free the easiest recipe that came to mind was a gluten-free cake that I’ve made plenty of times before with citrus fruits such as oranges and mandarins. This time I decided to try it out with some poached spiced pears and well it turned out a treat. Lovely and moist with just enough spice and sweetness.
I love mix and bake recipes that aren’t too difficult and time-consuming, this recipe certainly ticks all those boxes. I poached the pears first in some water, honey and with a few aromatic spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. These spices work well together infusing the flavours into the pears and the smell tantalising the senses which flowed through the kitchen. After the pears are soft, drain the poaching liquid and it’s as easy as adding a few ingredients into a food processor with the poached pears, then bake for half an hour. So simple and makes for a perfect Autumn afternoon tea cake.
Pear, Ginger & Almond Cake
A gluten-free and Refined sugar-free afternoon tea cake
4 beurre bosc pears peeled, cored and quartered (or any other varieties)
1/2 tsp cinnamon or 1 stick
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp raw honey
2 cups almond meal
1 tsp baking power (GF)
1 tsp ginger
flaked almonds to top
- Preheat oven to 160’C. Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper or grease with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan place the pears then fill with water till just covering the pears.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, 2 tbsp honey, scrape the inside of a vanilla pod and place all in the saucepan
- Bring to the boil then turn heat down to med/low
- Cook for 18-20mins until pears are soft. Discard water
- Place pears, almond meal, baking powder, remaining honey and ginger in a food processor and mix to combine
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition
- Blitz till becomes a smooth consistency
- Pour cake mixture into prepared cake tin and top with faked almonds. Bake for 35-40mins until when pierced with a skewer come out clean.