When I think of family classic dinners, roast chicken comes straight to mind. I love the fact that you can prepare a whole chook earlier with whatever spices or flavouring you like then leave it to marinade. Then before all the after school craziness or after work fatigue kicks in you have the chicken ready to cook, throw a few veggies in the oven and in 30-40mins you have a delicious family dinner on the table.
I butterfly my chicken before I roast it (meaning cut it so it lays out flat) I have explained this process in another recipe I’ve posted here’s the link incase How to butterfly a whole chicken. It cuts the cooking time in half and no one can argue with that. I used a Peri Peri spice rub this time which is a mix of paprika, garlic, chilli, salt and oregano. You can buy the Peri Peri or Portuguese spice premix in the herb and spice section of your supermarket or I have shared a quick make-yourself version in the recipe. Serve with whatever roast veggies you and your family like. Roast carrots and peas are always a good roast accompaniment, I have jazzed up my peas with some shredded mint and marinated fetta.
The secret to a succulent juicy chicken is all in how you cook it, with the addition of white wine in the roasting tray keeps the bird moist and doesn’t dry out. Add some slices of lemon and rosemary or oregano under the chicken to infuse extra flavours and make sure not to over cook. A regular size chicken with only take around 30-35mins to cook when it’s butterflied like this so make sure to check it, when the juices run clear it is ready. Enjoy!
Peri Peri Roast Chicken with Roast Veggies and Minted Peas with Fetta
A Classic family dinner to feed the family
1 whole chicken organic preferably and butterflied
1 lemon sliced
sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 cup white wine
2 cloves garlic crushed
Dried Oregano leaves
Store bought Peri Peri or Portuguese Spice Mix or Make yourself
6-8 baby carrots peeled
4-6 potatoes peeled and quartered
3 cups frozen green peas
3-4 mint leaves roughly chopped
1/4 cup marinated fetta
Peri Peri Spice Rub
2 teaspoons dried oregano, ground
3 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional hot)
- Preheat oven to 180’C
- Rub chicken with garlic and spice rub then sprinkle oregano all over
- In a large roasting tray add slices of lemon and sprigs of rosemary.
- Lay chicken skin side facing up on top of the lemons, add the white wine to the roasting tray.
- Cover and leave to marinade, meanwhile prepare your vegetables.
- Place carrots and potatoes in a separate roasting tray with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle of salt , place in the oven to cook for 35-40mins or until cooked through
- Cook chicken in the middle rack of the oven for 30-35 mins or until the juices run clear.
- Boil water in a small saucepan once boiling add frozen peas and 1 tsp salt cook for 5mins
- Drain, add mint and fetta and set aside.
- Once Chicken is cooked portion pieces and serve together with roast veggies and peas.