The cooler weather is vast approaching that mean it’s soup season. One thing I do love about the cooler weather is not only hibernating indoors cuddling up watching a riveting tv marathon but definitely that I get to put the salads aside for a while and make some warm nourishing soups again. There is something so comforting about a bowl of chicken broth full of goodness making us feel utterly satisfied.
With cold and flu season upon us it is important to keep our immunity strong as any sign of weakness and our bodies concede to viruses around us. It’s a good idea to start stocking up on the vitamin C enriched foods such as most citrus fruits, leafy greens like spinach and broccoli is also loaded with vitamins. Garlic, ginger, turmeric and sunflower seeds are immune boosting so it’s worth adding some extra in the morning smoothie or juices. Chicken has a high level of B6 vitamin which helps with the symptoms of colds and flues and plays a vital role in helping your body fight infection and boost immunity. So there is more to this feel-good soup than meets the eye, it actually does make us feel better.
This is a quick and fast recipe takes under 30mins to cook from start to finish. If you don’t have the time to make chicken stock from scratch (like most busy people these days) as it does take a little extra time to prepare than this recipe is for you.
Chicken Meatball Zoodle Soup
500-600g chicken mince
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 brown onion finely chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan
handful parsley finely chopped
salt and pepper
2 tbs olive oil
2 L chicken stock (store-bought or homemade)
2 carrots finely diced
3 sticks celery finely diced
4 zucchini spiralised into noodles (this works better with room temp zucchinis)
Note: If you don’t have a spiraliser you can just dice zucchini and add with vegetables or you can substitute for noodles
- To make the meatballs place chicken mince, half the garlic and onion, grated parmesan, egg, parsley and salt and pepper in to bowl. Mix well to combine, roll into small balls set aside. (you may need to wet your hands a little so they don’t become sticky)
- In a large stock pot heat the olive oil and add the remaining onion and garlic saute until soft. Add carrot and celery and cook for 1-2mins.
- Add chicken stock and bring to the boil. Slowly drop chicken balls into the stock turn heat down to low.
- Simmer for 10-12mins until meatballs are cooked through.
- Add the spiralised zucchini cook for 2 mins.
- Divide soup between bowls and top with extra parmesan cheese and parsley and salt and pepper if required.