The New Healthy Parmigiana…
I’m all for quick meals at the moment, with this sweltering heat we’ve been having no one feels like spending hours in front of a hot stove even me!
Still always trying to keep dinners healthy for the family, so this version of chicken parmigiana came out of the recipe files. Replacing the bread crumbing with quinoa flakes making it gluten-free and added benefits of a superfood. Baked in the oven over fried (always a good idea) Then topped it with cherry tomatoes and bocconcini cheese, making this ordinary pub grub meal into a healthier summer family favourite the whole family will love.
Served with a simple side salad and some pan cooked asparagus or your families favourite veggies.
Quinoa Chicken Parmigiana
4 chicken breasts (organic preferably)
2 eggs beaten
1 1/2 cups *quinoa flakes
salt and pepper
2 tb olive oil or coconut oil
10-12 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
2 large buffalo bocconcini sliced or 10-12 small bocconcini balls sliced
- Preheat oven 200’C
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthways
- Place eggs and quinoa flakes with the salt/ pepper in two separate in a bowl
- Coat chicken pieces first in the egg mixture then immediately in the quinoa flakes making sure to coat generously and evenly.
- Place in a baking tray drizzled with a little oil then drizzle little extra over the chicken
- Bake in the oven for 20mins turning half way through
- Top with tomatoes and bocconcini and place back in the oven for a further 5-10 mins until melted and chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with a simple side salad and you favourite veggies such as pan cooked asparagus or steamed broccoli
*Quinoa flakes are quinoa steamed rolled flat to make thin flakes. Can be found in major supermarkets or health food stores