Its been a challenging few days so I did what I do best and confined myself in my kitchen and did some baking.
Cooking/baking is my therapy, it is the best way to distract myself from things that might be challenging me in my life. It clears my mind of negative thoughts and lets me focus on the job at hand. If only for that moment it takes me to a creative place where I only think of food and how is makes me feel. And the best thing is I get to eat it at the end and share it with the rest of the family. Everyone has their bad days and cooking is my happy place, my pick me up. We should all find what it is that is your positive outlet and embrace it because only you have the strength and the power to rise above your worries and keep on going.
I didn’t have the focus to be creative today so I flicked through my old faithful Fresh & Light magazines to get some inspiration and found one of Donna Hays’ healthy muffin recipes. They are a little sweet and a little savoury, perfect for an afternoon pick me up without delving for the chocolate!
Recipe adapted from Donna Hays Fresh & Light Magazine issue 5
Carrot, Chia & Ricotta Muffins
1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour or wholemeal flour
3 tsp baking power
1 cup LSA meal (mix of linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds ground to a meal) or plain linseed meal
1/4 cup white chia seeds plus extra for topping
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup rice malt syrup or honey
1/2 cup of coconut or rapadura sugar
3/4 cup grapeseed oil or light olive oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sultanas
3 carrots grated
1 cup fresh ricotta
- Preheat oven to 180’C
- Place flour, baking powder, meal, chia seeds, cinnamon, rice malt syrup, coconut sugar, oil, milk, vanilla, sultanas, carrot and egg in a large bowl and mix all ingredients until well combined
- Add the ricotta and gently fold through
- Spoon mixture into non stick 12x hole muffin tin or lined with paper cases, sprinkle with extra chia seeds
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins or until tested with a skewer comes out clean.
- Turning onto a wire rack to cool