What’s more Aussie than having friends or family over, kids swimming, drinks flowing and having a backyard Barbie. Here is a simple side to accompany an Aussie BBQ that’t always a crowd pleaser and isn’t drowned in mayonaise!
Smashed Potatoes with Lemon, Rosemary & Thyme with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
A perfect side to accompany a backyard BBQ
1 kg baby red potatoes skin left on
zest of 1 lemon
fresh rosemary and thyme
Salt and pepper
Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tb Dijon mustard
1 tb honey
1 garlic crushed
- Place potatoes whole in a large pot fill with water till covers the potatoes add a heaped tsp salt, bring to the boil with lid on
- Once boiling remove lid and let it boil for 10-15mins
- Prick Potatoes with a fork to check if they are cooked they should be firm but tender inside
- Drain and let it cool
- Meanwhile make the dressing, add all the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake to combine, set aside.
- With a potato masher gently take each potato and press down just enough to break each potato place in a serving bowl
- Sprinkle the lemon zest, fresh rosemary sprigs and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the potatoes and gently mix till all the potatoes are covered in the dressing.
- Can serve this still warm or cold.