We have all been there, your kids go to parties and stuff themselves silly with copious amounts of sugar packed sweets and come home, hyperactive, emotional, moody and let’s be honest a little crazy! The sugar has hit them like a ton of bricks and there is nothing to be done until the energy levels drop, the tantrums start and they become lethargic and eventually pass out if you’re lucky without them being sick.
Well that’s the effects of refined sugar, I am all for kids being kids and having treats from time to time heck ice cream cake was my kids choice of cake and of course it’s a kids party so some sweet treats will be present but what if you could cut some out by making sweet treats that are actually better for you and your kids and they didn’t even know the difference?
I made these Chocolate Crackle Crunchy Nut Bars for my son’s party and it was a hit kids and adults alike and you would never had known there was no added sugar or copha in it at all!
Sure let the kids eat some birthday cake, but how good would it be coming home knowing that the sugar effects won’t be as bad and minimizing having an exuberant amount of sugar in their bodies, just happy tired kids from all the excitement of playing musical chairs and showing off their gangnam style moves over and over again or for the older kids the latest annoying craze of bottle flipping competitions!
Chocolate Crackle Crunchy Nut Bars
400g pitted dates
1/3 cup 100% natural peanut butter
1 cup puffed rice (rice bubbles contain sugar, you can buy puffed rice in the health section of your supermarket or health food store)
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts chopped
100g organic 70% dark chocolate, melted
- Place dates and peanut butter in a high-speed food processor and blitz until smooth and forms a paste. (You may have to stop and mix around to unstick mixture)
- Place the mixture into a large bowl and add puffed rice, and chopped peanuts mix to combine
- Press into a lined 10x 20cm baking tray, pour over melted chocolate and spread evenly
- Refrigerate for 30mins before slicing
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve