Baking cookies is one of my favourite things to make with my kids. Letting them take control is hard at the start as my anxiety of perfection kicks in but I just have to let that go for this time. The smiles and excitement when they are measuring the ingredients, pouring and mixing makes me realise I’m giving them life long lessons and memories that they are not even aware of yet.
Not to forget the best part for them not necessarily me as I am a clean freak, getting their hands dirty and having imperfect shapes and sizes to my dismay and cant help myself to fix a few odd ones here and there.
As we wait for the them to bake the clean up begins not surprising they have bolted in need of a bathroom break then disappeared into space for this part of the fun can’t blame them.
Once the cookies are done the excitement and anticipation on their little faces melts my heart to jelly, to them seeing their creations is one of the most rewarding moments, the bursting of confidence streams through and the look of accomplishment as they take a bite of what they have just made makes it all worth the mess.
Now to keep their cheeky fingers out of the cookie jar will be another wishful task..
Strawberry Jam Drop Cookies
A fun easy kid friendly cookie recipe that is also gluten and refined sugar-free
2 cups buckwheat flour
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
3/4 cup rice malt syrup
1/2 cup grapeseed oil or coconut oil
1/4 cup 100% pure strawberry spread no added sugar
- Preheat oven to 180’C
- In a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients except the strawberry jam
- Mix well to combine till takes the form of a dough
- With clean hands roll tablespoons of dough into ball and place on a lined baking tray
- Gently press down with your thumb to make a indent in the centre of each cookie
- Spoon teaspoon amounts of strawberry jam onto the cookies
- Bake in oven for 15mins till just golden
- Let them cool for 2-5 mins until firm