Broccoli and Pasta are my kids two favourite things so putting them together is always a safe bet. They love it and its super simple to make, can prepare the pesto beforehand and leave it in the fridge so in less than 10mins you have dinner on the table when afternoon madness kicks in. Not to mention its appetizing for us adults too!
Spelt Spaghetti with Broccoli Pesto
A simple, quick family pasta that the whole family can enjoy
1 packet spelt spaghetti
1 head of broccoli stalk removed and cut into florets
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup pinenuts
1/3 cup basil leaves
1/3 cup grated parmesan
Juice of 1/2 lemon
3tbs olive oil
salt and pepper
- Make pesto, boil broccoli in a small saucepan of boiling water for 5-7 minutes until tender, drain water
- Place broccoli, garlic, pinenuts, basil, parmesan and lemon juice in a food processor and blitz till smooth
- Add olive oil while pulsing till well combined
- Season with salt and pepper
- Boil water for pasta, cook per packet instructions
- Once cooked drain reserving a little of the water with the pasta
- Stir through broccoli pesto as much as you like, any left over place in an airtight jar and keep in the fridge.
Pesto is also great on slices of bread, as a dip or used for other meals.